HP Chromebooks - Chromebook Operating System Does Not Load (Chrome OS) | HP® Customer Support
HP Chromebooks - Chromebook Operating System Does Not Load (Chrome OS)
This document applies to HP Chromebook computers with Chrome OS.
This document describes what to do when your HP Chromebook has power but does not boot up into the operating system. If the computer is unresponsive, freezes, or has a dark display, follow the steps in this document to resolve the issue.
If your Chromebook has no power, go to Chromebook Does Not Power On or Charge Battery.
NOTE:If your computer displays the error message Chrome OS is missing or damaged, skip to step 3.
Step 1: Remove external devices
If the Chromebook does not start, remove any USB devices, and remove memory cards from the card reader slot. Disconnect all non-essential devices including external hard drives and other similar devices.
After you have removed all external devices, turn on the Chromebook.
- If the computer starts, reconnect devices one at a time, and restart the Chromebook each time you connect another device to figure out which device is causing the problem. You are done.
- If the unit still does not start or exhibits the same problem, go to the next step to perform a hard reset.
Step 2: Perform a hard reset
A hard or forced reset erases all information in the computer memory. This forces the system to clear and reestablish the software connections between the BIOS and the hardware.
A hard reset does not remove any local files or settings.
- Press the power button and refresh button for five seconds. The computer turns off, and then turns on again.
- If necessary, press power button again to turn on the laptop.
- If the issue persists, continue to the next step.
Step 3: Perform a system recovery
A system recovery completely erases any local files or settings and returns the computer to its original factory-shipped state.
- If a hard reset does not resolve your issue OR your Chromebook shows the error message Chrome OS is missing or damaged, you might need to perform a system recovery. For detailed instructions go to Chromebook Help Center and search for Recover your Chromebook.
- If a system recovery still does not resolve the issue, contact HP support. To check the warranty of your laptop, go to HP Customer Support - Product Warranty Check.